Department of Urology
Department of Urology at Capitol Hospital on one of the best in the North region to provide paramount medical and surgical care in all aspects of adult and paediatric urology. We offer full-fledged urology care and comprehensive treatment for common urological problems like prostate diseases, urinary stones, infections, malignancies and strictures of the urethra. Department of urology also provides screening, staging and the most up-to-date treatment of all uro-genital tumors including kidney, ureter, bladder and prostate besides dealing with benign conditions like BPH, stone disease, incontinence, infertility & impotence. The Department of Urology has a complete range of facilities to provide comprehensive services in the management of urological conditions.
Facilities & Procedures:
During Ureteroscopy, the doctor inserts a thin, flexible scope into your bladder and ureter. Through this he/she can look for kidney stones or other possible signs of trouble.
This is the visual inspection of the interior of the ureter and kidney by means of a fiber optic endoscope to serve the purpose of biopsy, removal or crushing of stones or other procedures.
Ureteric stones are removed by passing a ureter scope through the urethra and bladder. The surgeon locates the stone, removes it with special instruments or fragments the stone by using the Lithoclast.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL):
This procedure provides patients with a safe and effective way to remove kidney stones using a minimally invasive surgical procedure. This is also called Nephrolithotripsy, wherein the surgeon makes a small incision in your back to remove kidney stones. A hollow tube is put into your kidney to probe. In Nephrolithotomy, the surgeon removes the stone through the tube. In Nephrolithotripsy, he or she breaks the stone up and then removes the fragments of the stone through the tube.
This procedure involves surgically removing the narrowed section of your urethra or enlarging it. The procedure might also involve reconstruction of the surrounding tissues. Tissues from other areas of the body, such as your skin or mouth, may be used as a graft during reconstruction. The recurrence of urethral stricture after urethroplasty is quite low.
- Laparoscopic Surgery:
This is an option in certain cases depending on the size & location of stones and correction of any congenital problem like PUJ obstruction such as:
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy:Laparoscopic Nephrectomy provides patients with a safe and effective way to remove a diseased or cancerous kidney. Laparosopic nephrectomy is a minimally invasive technique, which provides patients with less discomfort and equivalent results when compared to the larger incision required with traditional open surgery.
- Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty:Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty provides patients with a safe and effective way to perform reconstructive surgery of a narrowing or scarring where the ureter attaches to the kidney through a minimally invasive procedure.
This surgery is used to correct a blockage or narrowing of the ureter where it leaves the kidney. This abnormality is called ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction which results in poor and sluggish drainage of urine from the kidney. UPJ obstruction can potentially cause abdominal and flank pain, stones, infection, high blood pressure and deterioration of kidney function.
- Laparoscopic ureterolithotomy: Ureterolithotomy refers to the open or laparoscopic surgical removal of a stone from the ureter.
- Laparoscopic diverticulectomy: This is done for large bladder diverticulum.
Medically named Meckel’s diverticulectomy, it is a surgical procedure done to remove a small pouch from the lining of the small intestine. This pouch is a birth defect called the Meckel’s diverticulum.The most common symptom is painless bleeding or hemorrhage from the rectum. Doctors prefer to use laparoscopic surgery to perform a Meckel’s diverticulectomy.
- Uro oncology – Treatment of patients with cancer disease in the urinary tract including major surgery for bladder, prostate, ureter, kidneys and genitalia. This field is called Uro oncology.
- TRUS GUIDED PROSTATIC BIOPSY: This is an ultrasound guided prostatic biopsy done to rule out the possibility of prostatic cancer.
- TURBT: This means trans urethral resection of bladder tumour endoscopically.
- RADICAL CYSTOPROSTATECTOMY WITH NEOBLADDER/CONDUIT: This surgery is performed for cancer bladder. The entire bladder and prostate with pelvic lymph node removal is done and a new bladder is formed from intestine with opening either inside or outside the body.
- RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY FOR CANCER PROSTATE:This surgery is performed in case of cancer of the prostate. The entire prostate gland with the seminal vesicles is removed. A nerve sparing procedure is also done to guard against impotence.
- Prostate Disease : Capitol Hospital also diagnoses and treats prostate diseases.
- Uroflowmetry: This test is performed to see the flow pattern of urine which helps to diagnose lower tract pathology.
- TURP -Transuretheral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) is a surgical procedure to deal with patients with an enlarged, benign (non-cancerous) prostate, called Benign Prostate Hyperplasia or BPH.
- Treatment of Incontinence: This is the loss of urinary control. Urinary incontinence (urinary leak) and other urinary problems like urgency (going to the toilet frequently) and stress incontinence (leaking of urine with cough and laughing or straining) can be investigated and treated with minimally invasive methods.
- Female Urology: This Includes cystoscopy, surgery for stress urinary incontinence (TVT, TOT tape), pelvic floor reconstruction using mesh cystocele repair.
- Treatment of Haematuria:Haematuria is the presence of red blood cells (RBCs) in the urine. At Capitol our medical team effectively evaluates and treats all types of urinary incontinence and haematuria.
- Varicocele: This is a condition wherein there is enlargement of the veins that drain the testicles. A varicocele affects fertility due to the decrease in circulation of blood in the testicular area. Once a varicocele has been diagnosed, a surgical procedure can be done to correct the problem. This improves motility of sperms and fertility index.
- Andrology Services
- Infertility: Capitol offers a complete range of facilities for investigation of male infertility. Female infertility investigation by gynaecologists with special training in infertility is also provided.
- Impotency: Capitol Hospital has special facilities for pharmacotherapy, cavernosometry and cavernosography, in addition to Doppler studies for assessment of blood flow to treat impotence. A variety of instruments such as vibrators, vacuum devices are also available. Vascular surgery to treat impotence is also an option for patients.
- Paediatric Urology: Paediatric Urology involves the diagnosis and treatment of all kinds of congenital urological problems encountered in children like hypospadias,PUJ obstruction,VUR,Posterior urethral valves.